Tuesday 3 April 2012

Who profits from killing Pluto?

[unable to retrieve full-text content]

You may recall ( as I and my offspring do ) the controversy about six years ago around the demotion of Pluto. There seemed to me to be reasonable arguments on both sides, and indeed, my household included pro-Pluto partisans and partisans for a new, clear definition of “planet” that might end up leaving Pluto on the exo-planet side of the line.

At the time, Neil deGrasse Tyson was probably the most recognizable advocate of the anti-Pluto position, and since then he has not been shy about reaffirming his position. I had taken this vocal (even gleeful) advocacy as just an instance of a scientist working to do effective public outreach, but recently, I’ve been made aware of reasons to believe that there may be more going on with Neil deGrasse Tyson here.

[More]

Add to digg Add to StumbleUpon Add to Reddit Add to Facebook Add to del.icio.us Email this Article

pro bowl 2012 roster yamaguchi road house occupy oakland occupy oakland morgellons disease arik armstead

No comments:

Post a Comment